Age Verification
This website contains age-restricted material including nudity and explicit content. By entering, you confirm being at least 18 years old or the age of majority in the jurisdiction you are accessing the website from.
I am 18+ or older - Enter
I am under 18 - Exit
Our parental controls page explains how you can easily block access to this site.
willyweekly
Joined in Jul 2015

374 post(s)
June 16
Hello all.
I no longer work on computers and such. In the good ol' days, we would have to defragment our drives.

I have an external drive for the lone purpose of my totem downloads.

What are the thoughts about a defrag for the external drive? Is this outdated thinking? is it needed?

thanks
Lincy
Joined in Apr 2024

31 post(s)
June 16
Everything I've read on the subject says that defrag is no longer necessary.
muttonjeff
Joined in Nov 2008

738 post(s)
June 16 (edited)
what kind of external drive do you use ?

if like mine, they are SSD, then you shouldn't need to.
Try Analyzing the disk(s) first to see if defrag is recommended

I have four external USB 4Tb Crucial X10 SSD and they all report 0% fragmented
My laptop also has a built-in 2Tb Samsung SSD ... also 0%

I do have the Crucial drivers installed (Win 11) but I disabled auto defrag etc.

However, if I used a regular HD and it showed heavy fragmentation ... I would defrag.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3898 post(s)
June 17
Actually Defrag of Modern HDD or Hybrid HDD is sort of counter productive.
Defragging a Modern HDD may make data access take longer than if you Don't defrag the drives.

SSD drives do not ever need to be defragmented.
Since SSD'd have a Limited number of write cycles
It just wastes Life expectancy by using up some of the write cycle life.

Read cycles are almost unlimited, But write Cycles of an SSD are in the 100,000 range.
So if you have constantly changing data, each change is reducing the Life of that area of the drives Memory.

Life expectancy of current SSD drives are in the 5 to 10 year range, depending on what and how you use them.

A boot and application Drive would be the 5 year range, due to many updates and constant changes.
where a data storage drive would probably be in the 10 year range.
willyweekly
Joined in Jul 2015

374 post(s)
June 18
Thanks for this.
Sadly, I am still enough of a computer geek to understand all of this. (I was hoping o be a little further out of touch with the industry and have a simple life....)

You (all) are quite helpful.

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !