Age Verification
This website contains age-restricted material including nudity and explicit content. By entering, you confirm being at least 18 years old or the age of majority in the jurisdiction you are accessing the website from.
I am 18+ or older - Enter
I am under 18 - Exit
Our parental controls page explains how you can easily block access to this site.

What is P2P?

Forum / New users corner

millertime
Joined in Oct 2007

72 post(s)
March 11, 2018
What exactly is P2P or peer to peer? Is it supposed to make the downloads go faster and is it safe?

It's been awhile since I've been on the site, I'm rebuilding my collection and getting caught up to speed on everything. Thanks.
stefnev1
Joined in Jul 2008

4553 post(s)
March 11, 2018
P2P means that all the customers of iStripper who enable this feature make possible to the others to download the shows from their computer. So, iStripper uses some bandwith on your PC to upload your files to another customer, so the Totem's servers are less busy. If you have a small bandwith on your Internet link, it's recommended to disable this feature.
JayZ971
Joined in Mar 2009

2243 post(s)
March 11, 2018
P2P is used for previews only. When you buy a card, the download comes from Totem servers. The bought cards are encoded to work with your account only. Previews can be shared between members.
millertime
Joined in Oct 2007

72 post(s)
March 11, 2018
So since I'm redownloading my entire collection, the P2P won't make downloading the shows I've already purchased any faster?
stefnev1
Joined in Jul 2008

4553 post(s)
March 11, 2018
Not your shows, only the previews.
JayZ971
Joined in Mar 2009

2243 post(s)
March 11, 2018
@millertime
No, bought card downlooad speeds are between Totem servers & your internet service provider.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
March 16, 2018
Just noticed this thread.

A couple of years ago, somebody highly respected for his knowledge and experience with all things Totem advised me to always disable P2P when downloading purchased cards. This SHOULD ensure that you are getting the correct, uncompromised versions of each card, direct from Totem's own servers.

Whether or not using P2P whilst downloading purchased cards may be affected, I have no clue. However, since you are paying for the cards, you have the right to download directly from Totem.
muttonjeff
Joined in Nov 2008

736 post(s)
March 17, 2018
Hmmmmm, i thought P2P was used to reduce Previews downloads from the Totem servers.
One of the checkboxes in Settings - Downloads shows ...
[ ] Delete peer to peer files from my hard drive when deleting previews ?
Mouseover the ? and is says "The download of our free previews relies on the peer to peer sharing technology"
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
March 17, 2018
Yes. You are correct, Jeff. The P2P usage is sparing Totem's servers from the extra load, specifically for previews. But according to my info, it can still also be used to download purchased cards.

Imho, if someone has, for some reason downloaded a corrupt file due to connection issues or whatever, this can then be shared with the masses and cause some or all of the posts regarding problem clips that others don't necessarily have.

So, for downloading purchased cards, it's best to disable P2P and turn it back on for demos afterwards 😊
muttonjeff
Joined in Nov 2008

736 post(s)
March 17, 2018
@Hombre
I have no need for demos and had demos and p2p disabled since it became optional.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
March 21, 2018
Just replied to a very nice PM from a fairly recently joined Spanish member, @JMS. He doesn't speak English and among other things, had no idea what P2P was either. I hope I explained it fully enough for him to understand how it works.

For any other Spanish speakers that are struggling with English here, I may be able to help. Feel free to ask 😊

From Google Translate:

Acabo de responder a un PM muy bueno de un miembro español recientemente unido, @JMS. Él no habla inglés y, entre otras cosas, tampoco tenía idea de qué era P2P. Espero haberlo explicado lo suficiente como para que él entienda cómo funciona.

Para cualquier otro hispano hablante que tenga problemas con el inglés aquí, tal vez puedo ayudarlo. Siéntete libre de preguntar 😊

PS: I used Google Translate here because I couldn't be bothered translating all that again myself. It looks pretty good! PM's I will personally interpret to the best of my ability... 😐

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !